HOMETOWN: Brooklyn, NY
BEST KNOWN FOR: Bachata
Lee “El Gringuito” Smith is an influential instructor/promoter in the latin dance scene, and is organizer of the DC Bachata Congress.
- Started dancing salsa in 2001, and shortly thereafter began teaching latin dance in 2002.
- Was first exposed to bachata in 2007 during a trip to the Dominican Republic.
- Have taught in 20 countries, 800+ cities internationally and has taught over 175,000 people across all 50 States.
- Heavy bachata influence in the Washington DC metro area over the past 12 years.
- Is a magician.
- Has 5 instructional Bachata DVDs.
- Organizer of the The DC Bachata Congress. It is one of the largest Bachata-centric Festivals in the world. It was the third ever Bachata festival in North America. It has reported 5000+ attendees from 48 States & 29 countries!
- *The DC Bachata Congress was the first Bachata Festival in the United States to have an article written by a major newspaper (Washington Post), and Lee has done interviews on CNN Espanol which aired in over 25 countries.