HOMETOWN: Florida, USA
BEST KNOWN FOR: Argentine Tango
- Mayte began dancing when she was 6 years old. At a very early age she performed with the company Miami City Ballet.
- She was featured in The Nutcracker, which toured throughout Florida.
- Studied in Buenos Aires, Argentina at the Teatro Colón and with various ballet masters.
- Has performed in many tango shows includeing Chiquilin Tango, Tango en el Maipo, Tango Historias Breves, and Tanguera: The Musical.
- Mayte has performed with Grammy award-winning pianist Pablo Ziegler.
- In 2004 she toured with the company Tango Pasión throughout Spain, Sweden, Russia and Germany.
- With the company Tango Buenos Aires, she has also traveled throughout the United States, Mexico, Egypt, Asia, Turkey, and Israel.
- In Buenos Aires in January 2007, Mayte began performing with Carlos Barrionuevo (now her husband and dance partner).
- In December of 2007 they helped form the cast of the company Forever Tango, performing at the Teatro Coliseo Podesta in La Plata, Argentina for the release of the company’s new DVD.
- In September 2009, Mayte joined the company Tangueros del Sur for their Romper el Piso show that was performed at the New York City Center, Vail International Dance Festival, Jacob’s Pillow Dance Festival, and Israel Dance Festival.
- Mayte made her film debut by starring as the lead character in “Niña Del Tango,” a short film directed by Jason Eberly that premiered in Los Angeles and New York in 2012.
Source: Mayte Valdes website, Tangoearth.com.