HOMETOWN: London, England
BEST KNOWN: Salsa
Leon Rose is an influential performer, choreographer and instructor in the salsa scene. He is extremely popular and one of the freshest innovators in the international Salsa scene. His inspirational style generates enthusiasm and commitment to the art of Salsa dancing.
- Comes from a Caribbean background.
- Attended The Anna Scher Theatre School, which led to many appearances on stage, popular children’s shows, including ‘Grange Hill’ to several televised dramas, one alongside Dame Judy Dench.
- Was introduced to salsa by his mother. She took him to his first salsa class at a club called Villa Stefano’s in London.
- Primary salsa influences include Robert Charlemagne, Luis Vasquez, and Nelson Flores.
- He has performed on television and stage, from appearances with Enrique Iglesias on Top of the Pops (BBC), The Des O’Connor Show to The Royal Albert Hall in aid of Princess Diana Landmine Fund, Hackney Empire and various prestigious venues around the UK and the rest of the world.
- Has taught worldwide from Australia to Morocco to Puerto Rico.
- Won the 2000 UK Bacardi Salsa, 2001 Salsa Club championship and 2003 Aji con mango competitions.
- Primary dancer partners have included Susana Montero and Dorottya “Dotty” Ujszaszi.
- Is choreographer and director of the dance group, “The Leon Rose Project”.
Primary source: LeonRose.com