HOMETOWN: Sal, Cape Verde
BEST KNOWN FOR: Kizomba, Kaizen
- Born in Cape Verde in 1978. Cape Verde is an island country west of Africa. The official language is Portuguese.
- At 18 he moved to Portugal and entered the world of ballroom dance. After ballroom he learned kizomba and embraced contemporary African dance.
- He learned kizomba from one of the pioneers in the teaching of kizomba, Ze Barbosa.
- In addition to being a dancer, he is also an aerospace engineer. He earned his doctorate in London.
- Kwenda created and teaches a form of dance known as “Kaizen”. Kaizen is expressed through various tribal dance movements and the movements are a form of communication, and are meant to convey universal unity.
- He is often seen wearing beads around his hands. The beads represent spirituality and things that are important to him.