HOMETOWN: Houston, TX
BEST KNOWN FOR: Kizomba
Charles Ogar is an influential instructor and performer in the Kizomba dance community.
- Got his first taste of dance at the age of 8 in elementary through a program called “Believe In Me”.
- In elementary and middle school he played the flute, piano, and alto saxophone. This helped develop his sense of rhythm and musicality.
- Was introduced to salsa in his first of year of college. He soon found himself taking weekly classes and going out social dancing often.
- His dance repertoire grew to include bachata, punta, samba, cha cha, mambo and eventually Kizomba.
- Began teaching regular weekly classes, and performing Kizomba demos.
- Has taught multiple workshops within the state of Texas and internationally in Canada. Has workshops scheduled in Europe as well.
- Organized and successfully promoted two large scale events in Houston recruiting top artists from Europe.
- Placed second in the Jack and Jill Kizomba competition at the Annual Kizomba Festival in San Franscisco. Judges consisted of Tony Pirata (France), Albir and Sara (Spain), and Yami & St’Effy (France).
- Regularly interviews other influential latin dance figures such as Sekou McMiller, Rodney “Rodchata” Aquino, and Carlos Cinta.
For more information on Charles and to hear his interviews visit ILoveLatinMusic.com.
Primary source: DCbachata.com.